Monday, April 18, 2011

Status Report - 6x5'x'1 Efficacy Update

I haven't done an official 20 minute FTP test in a long time.  The last couple of times in previous seasons went so badly.  Had I set my training zones based on those numbers I'd be doing VO2 workouts at base.  Therefore, I traditionally used NP for hour long hard group rides to estimate my zones.

Well, after several weeks of 6x5s it looks like my ability to TT is actually beginning to match my VO2 capacity.  After an easy weekend with only an hour of racing I felt a little flat today but after 15 minutes of warmup decided to try a 20 minute all out effort just for the hell of it.  My previous 20 minute best was 3 seasons ago and only 278 watts.  Here is today's workout.


Negative split 288/296 and still felt like I had a lot to give.  Probably should have kept going as long as I could, but for now I'm still surprised I was able to hit my first real goal of 290 Watts.  This puts my FTP at greater than 275, which puts my power to weight at the 4 W/kg mark!

I also like the fact that I averaged 23.9 MPH on a windy day on a road bike.  I really hope this transfers to the time trial bike, I have some stage races to go to this year.

I'm beginning to think a 315 Watt 20 minute (and 300 Watt FTP) is completely achievable this season.

Hurray 6x5s!!

3 comments:

  1. Luke, the steady/consistent chart is impressive, as are the results. What course did use for conducting this FTP test? RSR? Gregg H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Luke, those are some big numbers! - Slug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noticed I had comments here!

    Yes, it was RSR. Pretty ideal as long as you check behind you for turns 2 and 3 if you're going clockwise.

    ReplyDelete